Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What's In A Day?



What is in a day? A nap. A lot of those. E-mails. A few phone calls (family usually). Checking on the state of things. Any sales? Yes? No? Correspondence.

Coffee. Laughter. Ian acting crazy-funny. Always joking. Making me smile. Breakfast. Coffee. More coffee.

Thinking about the next big painting or the next small painting.
Carefully nurturing the desire to create.

Tending the wood fire that keeps our house warm. My mother taught me how years ago.
Now I can have a good one roaring in minutes. It's always a fun challenge.
I am better at it than Ian but don't tell him I said that.

Children. Homework. Games. Talking. Listening. A lot of listening.

Cooking. Housework. Bath time. Or shower time. Pyjamas. Feed the pets.

Stop a moment. Breathe. Take it all in.
The trees. The view. Rolling hills.
Unending farm land.
Midnight. Stars. Moon. Waxing. Waning.

Cat on my shoulder. Purring in my ear.
Kids giggling.

I think about life. I think about what it means to be an artist.
Being an artist, for me, is a mere fraction of my day.
Only a small portion. An important portion but not an all consuming thing.

Careful use of time. Careful use of resources.
Caring for my family. Caring for my home. Caring for myself.

Careful with my time.
Private about my life.

Life is what you make it.
Life is how you make it.
Life is also, sometimes, what you make.

No comments:

Post a Comment