Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Day in the Life II






We are at day fifteen (including weekends) of our 2011-2012 homeschool adventure. I would liken it to a bumpy path with the occasional falling tree. I play referee more often than I used to but I think this has more to do with age than anything else. A seven year old girl and a ten year old boy make for an interesting time... at times.

I tell you, when I was a kid I pictured myself with some amazing career, lots of money. Pretty cars. All of that. I thought that was how life would go because I liked to have my own things and my own freedoms and I didn't mind working to obtain them.

Life is life and somehow I decided a family is what I wanted in the end. I've been a goner since the moment my son came into the world. Is it to heal the scrapes and bruises of my own childhood? I don't know... All I know is I find being with my children makes me feel whole. I like the reward of experiencing the expansion of their ability... that Eureka! moment they experience with every new lesson. It's good. It is very good.

Not to say it is all sunshine and roses. Scheduling conflicts and other conflicts (personality clashes time and again) have put a road block in our way more than once or twice. I've had a meltdown at least once. I mean a full-on crying jag. That was fun (not at all). But again, these things just happen. That's life.

Our biggest obstacle has been fear. We are so enmeshed in the system of schedules we have a hard time feeling like we are on the right track. Ian (honestly) has more difficulty in this area than I do. His schooling experience was structured and scheduled. Mine was more like a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants- and-hope-for-the-best kind of experience. I usually fell in to bed--exhausted--by four in the afternoon on a school day when I was a kid. I would sleep. I would wake up after a couple of hours and then it was time for some action... and who knows what would happen from day-to-day? My home life was crazy. Good crazy. Bad crazy. Crazy.

So, I like that kind of feeling. I feel it breeds creativity. A little structure is also a good thing. Ian brings this to the table and it mellows out my desire for the non-stop adventure. That's the other thing, maybe the most important thing--we have to work together as a team or else this just doesn't work at all. Balancing 50 to 60 hour works weeks with my never ending pull to sneak away to my studio is not always easy. But it's not always difficult either.

Again, I realize homeschooling is not for everyone and is still likely viewed as a fringe-hippy-patchouli- and-frangipani kind of thing to do by many. But, I don't think it is that at all. Not even a little bit. Not for us anyway. It's just something that we realize we prefer. Choice is a beautiful thing. I want to do this.

We reviewed the things we have covered so far. It's more than I realized which is a hopeful sign. Isaiah was particularly excited to see what he'd accomplished so far. Learning is still something both children find very exciting.

------------------------------

In the news: my artwork has been featured on this most awesome blog (HERE) about motherhood and images of motherhood. I'm honored!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that painting, I think just about anyone can picture themselves as that Momma. Such tender love beaming from her <3

    I totally hear you on the fear front... The other point is support and how it needs to be a team effort. I sadly don't have that kind of support. So I just try to make all the time out of school all about un schooling and self directed learning. It's the best I can do on my own. I'm so inspired by you Jody, you sure are awesome <3

    ReplyDelete