Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I Don't Know Why I Painted Rotten Apples

As I was making myself a coffee this morning, I noticed something was very weird about the fruit in this picture that I painted. As you can see, some of the fruit is obviously mouldy! I am asking myself what the heck I was thinking when I painted it this way. The truth is, I can't remember. Furthermore, as far as I know, at the time I thought I was simply painting green apples. This is interesting to me because, as an artist, I have noticed my eyes will play strange tricks on me. I've had this painting (which is a simple still-life study from a pre-sketched canvas thingy I bought at the dollar store) for several years now and I never, never, never noticed that I had painted the apples to look kind of rotten until today. What does that say about me? Well, I could get into it, but I won't.

Have you made these kinds of discoveries about your own work? Did your eyes trick you into thinking things were one way only to realize they were something quite different in the end? That's what I love about being an artist––you just never ever know what is going to happen. I can't really call it a mistake because if I said I intended to paint mouldy apples I would have to say I nailed it. So, to save face... yeah, I meant to do that. Truly.




                                           

                                           

                            

                           


                            

No comments:

Post a Comment