Monday, April 6, 2015

A Gift of Healing (Finger Labyrinths)






I believe we need to intentionally make time for ourselves to heal. This world we live in is glorious and beautiful, but we all know there is also illness, sadness, and pain around every corner. We must acknowledge this and fortify ourselves against it. We must be whole in order to thrive and in order to be whole, we must heal. Healing is something I know quite a bit about. I've dealt with illness, accidents, trauma on several emotional levels, the passing of loved ones and so on. Yet, I am here to tell the story and on my best days, I feel like I am able to thrive. I believe in healing because I have experienced it myself many times and in many ways.

I started making these finger labyrinths several days before my sister passed away. I made them for myself, but also so I might start offering the world a token of my faith in the art of healing. I was told a few years ago I have a gift of healing. I have no idea if this is true (although I admit that I hope it is true) but I can say for sure that sometimes my heart speaks to me in specific ways about healing and I felt compelled to listen to that voice lately.

I created these hand-held finger labyrinth from clay and seashells. The clay has been baked directly into seashell and, in its entirety, it fits right in the palm of your hand. The design is simple because the purpose is simple. The  labyrinth configuration is spiral shaped and is meant to guide your finger back and forth through the spiral while meditating or allowing your mind to wonder.

I made these intentionally for the purpose of healing and peaceful stress relief. They have been lovingly made by my hands and each on is unique. The inside of the spiral has a roughness to it that I intentionally added through the working of the clay because I wanted the user of these labyrinth to forge their own path within the spiral with their own finger tips over time. Over time I expect the path to get smoother and smoother.

The labyrinth measures 3.5 inches or 8 cms in diameter. It is painted a bright blue to represent the ocean.

I had no idea that my sister was going to die, but last night I was so glad I had made these before she did so I could comfort myself with the work of my own hands. I sat on the couch last night and zoned out on television (something I rarely do) while running my finger back and for through the spiral. Much to my delight, it worked very well. I felt quite a bit better after a several minutes. I've saved one for myself and one for my daughter.





No comments:

Post a Comment