Saturday, February 13, 2016

Personal Progress




I wrote an exam in Anthropology today. I think I did alright. I also just finished a Pop Culture/Media Studies course with an A-. Remember those days when I would whine and justify my decision to go to university over and over again? Well, those days seem like a distant dream to me now. The reality is I have about a year and a half left and I will be graduating. I actually had a chance to chat with my exam invigilator and we discussed what my next step might be when I graduate... we talked about several options and for the first time, it really dawned on me the importance of what I am about to accomplish. I talked to Ian about this on the way home (the exam was in Fredericton at the UNB campus) and I came to the conclusion that if I had my chance, one of the things I would truly love to experience in this lifetime is to inhabit some place warm, tropical, sunny. Not to visit as a tourist, and breeze through in the blink of an eye, but to live, inhabit, spend copious amounts of time within... somewhere warm where waters are blue and time slows way way down. In the years ahead. I've got the urge to do that just as I used to desire to know how to drive a stick shift (check) or become a mother (check) or learn how to paint (check). It's in there...

So, it was a hopeful kind of day. The sun shone brightly on the way back home and the snow looked gorgeous on all the evergreens. I got a chance to see my sister and my nephew. We listened to Bowie all the way home. My heart was so full, the joy was so palpable. The sense of accomplishment so true. I have these moments where I feel so surprised by what I can manage to achieve. It comes in waves, fits and starts, but it all comes together somehow, magically (almost).

We could be celebrating out on the town tonight. Instead, I decided to stay home, have a glass of wine (or three) and revel in this beautiful evening with my son, my daughter, and that sweet man of mine. Happy Valentine's day indeed. There has been chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment