Monday, February 8, 2016

This Is Heaven

"A Mother and Her Newborn"
by
Jody Coughlin
Mixed media on paper
Prints available HERE.

I don't know all there is to know about motherhood, but I remember holding my son and my daughter in my arms so many many moons ago and I remember knowing that there is nothing in this world that would ever be more important to me than being their mother. Ian has thought about everything and he has made his ultimate choice: he does not want anymore children. So I, as his wife and the committed partner of his life, have agreed to walk along with him anyway, cherishing the two children we already have and cherishing, even more so now, the memories of those fleeting days when I looked down into the crook of my arm at those little faces staring up at me in pure recognition. They knew me. I knew them. It's been love ever since. 

I personally came to the realization that to force the issue was not only unfair, it was immoral. I am fully versed in birth control methods. I know very well how not to get pregnant... Reversing a vasectomy is beyond that realm by far. I could and never will be so willful as that. I am just not that kind of person. I would not thrust my desire for a new child upon the person I have married if he has already, openly and for years now, told me emphatically that two is all he feels he can handle and handle well. Alright. They say life begins at forty and though I am not quite there yet and though I feel like I have a fair bit of nurturing left in me to do, well, I will wait for grandchildren and have a lot of fun in the meantime, I suppose. It's all good. It actually is really really good. 



No comments:

Post a Comment