Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I Am Mother



I am mother
of this beautiful child.
I am eclipsed 
by the youth 
of my daughter. 
I am overcome with love for her 
while
I am reminded of all the things 
I have done wrong
at an otherwise lighthearted time
at the kitchen table.

She does not see
the boulders I've carried
so that she could be.

I am mother. 
I am eclipsed by the errors of my youth.

Though to her 
I am fully grown
and to her
I should know all
while knowing nothing 

while not knowing 

one

damned 

thing.


am 
Mother.

I am completely floored
by the notion
that it is up to me
to raise this child
with all my faults
and all my mistakes
and all my growing pains
into a woman
who not only survives
in this world
but who 
also
 also 
also


thrives. 


I am the one
who 
will teach her
about wolves
and eagles
about rats
and mice

I am the one who 
will teach her about
up and down
and 
wrong 
and 

right. 

Me... 

with that mouth of mine.

And I am the one

who

 will catch her 
when she inevitably falls. 


I am Mother. 

I

am 

Mother.




No comments:

Post a Comment