Sunday, August 6, 2017

Poppy







(My reference photo)



Abstract art and surrealism don't really ring my bells. I like a really well painted thing. I like to see technicality at its best. I like realism with a flare. I like things to just come together. So as tempted as I am to just sling paint around and call it good enough, I am much more satisfied with myself if I try to adhere to some semblance of realism when I paint. Especially when I paint flowers. Particularly when I paint flowers.

I've said this to several people already and I will say it again here: technically speaking, this is probably the best painting I have ever done. I love everything about it. I love the colours, I love the way the centre of the poppy looks so real and true. I love all of that. I also love that the reference photo I used to paint this came from my own experience... I went for a nice long walk through the Uptown core of Saint John on a bright and beautiful morning and I came across a little garden with two or three poppies just beaming in the sunlight. So, I snapped the photo, came home, printed it, and then used it as a reference for this piece of art. So, it's all me. It's all flower, but its all me. It came together so well. I couldn't be more proud of this little gem. 

It is painted on a wooden panel and it measure 10 (width) and 8 (height) inches in size. It is available in my Etsy Shop and I have feeling it might not last long. 



No comments:

Post a Comment